Thursday, October 6, 2011

More Stuff, Random Stuff

I just finished reading a book, The Opposite of Me, and I enjoyed it but there was something off about the book. The story took place in 2009 or 2010 and the protagonist was a 29 year old woman. And:


  • She repeatedly mentions "cyber cafes"

  • Her twin sister lamented choosing between Calvin Kleins and Jordache jeans in high school

  • Mentioned wearing Gloria Vanderbilt jeans in seventh grade

  • Complained about lack of Mars bars in vending machine

Cyber cafes don't really exist anymore. People just go to coffee shops with wifi. I understand that you might go to a "cyber cafe" if you don't have a computer, but the main character has a laptop and mentions that she is in a coffee shop. But she keeps calling it a cyber cafe. This seems really dated to me.


I am basically the same age as the main character. Calvin Klein and Jordache jeans were not the "it" jeans to be wearing at that time. I grew up in a small town but even there those jeans were popular ten years earlier then when the main characters would have been in high school.


Same goes fro Gloria Vanderbilt jeans. Weren't these popular in the late seventies and early eighties? Not early nineties, when the main character would have been in seventh grade.


Mars bars were discontinued in the US in 2002. I don't think I've ever even seen one. Wikipedia says they were relaunched exclusively to Wal-Mart in 2010, however. That doesn't explain why anyone would expect them to be in a hospital vending machine in 2009.


Basically, the book was pretty good but I kept getting distracted by all the weird inaccuracies. I was talking to Chris about it and he said it sounded like someone wrote it with a different time period in mind and then decided to set it in modern day and forgot to change the details.


Other stuff, other stuff. I have to go back to work on Monday. BOOOOOOOOOO! I really don't want to. I like my job and I am sure after a few days it will be fine, but I already feel the overwhelming mom guilt of leaving my child in someone else's care.


I am almost done with Agatha's Halloween costume and it is The. Cutest. Thing. Ever. I can't wait to show pictures. I have to stop myself from dressing her in it every day.


Chris' parents sent me some money for my birthday and I am going to spend it ALL on MYSELF. Not stuff for the house or the baby or put it in savings. ME. I'm going to buy pretty, dumb, frivolous stuff just because I want it.


Chris got me the Rifle Paper calendar I wanted and the Design*Sponge book. I am so happy and look forward to enjoying both.

1 comment:

  1. oh! i know why there weren't any mars bars in the vending machine. my boyfriend ate them all: http://www.themorningstarr.co.uk/2010/07/25/pat-bertoletti-sets-new-mars-bar-eating-record/

    ReplyDelete